News

Montero lodges C$90m claim against Tanzania

Montero Mining & Exploration has filed a C$90m claim against the Tanzanian government following the cancellation of its licence to dig for rare earths in the East African country. Tony Harwood, president and CEO of Montero confirmed the report and said the claim has been lodged with the World Bank’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).

“We are committed to pursuing fair treatment of our shareholders and a return on our substantial investment of time and money in Tanzania through a fully funded arbitration process,” said the CEO.

Drop in shares

Shares in the company have fallen about 58% over the last 12 months. Earlier this month, shares fell to a two-year low of four Canadian cents per share. The stock is currently trading at five cents per share valuing Montero at C$2.32m.

Montero said in a statement on July 28 that it had sunk about C$15.5m in rare earths project Wigu Hill since 2008. However, in 2018 the Tanzanian government cancelled the project’s retention licences under its new Mining (Local Content) Regulations 2018. Montero said development this amounted to expropriation.

“The company has made repeated attempts to work with Tanzanian Government to reach an amicable settlement without success, while the discovery and development of the Wigu Hill project has created significant value for Tanzania,” said Harwood.

Claims totalling just over C$250m have been lodged with the ICSID by two other companies against the Tanzanian government on similar grounds including Winshear Gold Corporation and Indiana Resources.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button